My thoughts and prayers go out to those directly impacted by COVID-19 and their families. I know because I recovered from it. 2020 has just reinforced my belief in opportunity, freedom and innovation.
I'm uniquely qualified to manage our way out of this COVID mess:
- As an emergency manager, I've helped keep 250,000 employees safe.
- We must enable our small businesses to survive or else job losses will be permanent.
- We must get our kids back into school, as distance learning is hurting the kids that need the most help.
Five reasons why Sacramento leadership fails Peninsula residents:
- The state’s $54 billion budget deficit and legislative supermajority will result in higher taxes for you. Sacramento spends billions on high-speed rail to Bakersfield, while making you pay higher sales taxes for Caltrain (Measure RR). I solved Menlo Park’s structural budget deficit during the great recession, and balanced the city’s budget every year while on city council.
- California is increasingly over-regulating businesses out of the state and stifling innovation, as Covid decimates small businesses. AB5 regulated the gig economy, and wound up hurting musicians, self-employed, and other independent contractors, prompting Prop 22. Let's restore opportunity in Silicon Valley and the Golden State. Let's apply technology and innovation to fix the EDD's backlog of over a million unprocessed unemployment claims.
- State mandates like SB50 and RHNA override our freedom of local control by imposing even more high-density housing that will change the character of our communities and result in crowded classrooms for your kids.
- State government is responsible for education. Yet four decades after I grew up here, Ravenswood City School District students continue to substantially underperform relative to surrounding districts. Black and brown kids matter, and the best way to change systemic racism in our backyard is through equality of education and opportunity.
- Sacramento released and transferred prisoners to counties, resulting in increased burglaries and threatening our safety.
California is now a one-party state, no longer a healthy democracy generating bi-partisan solutions to problems.
Tell Sacramento that bi-partisan solutions are needed now by voting for Peter Ohtaki for State Assembly, a voice of reason.